Thursday, July 9, 2009

Workin' Day and Night

Your application to attend the Michael Jackson Public Memorial Service at STAPLES Center this Tuesday, July 7, 2009 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time, was successful!
Print the Ticketmaster voucher. THIS IS YOUR VOUCHER. Your voucher will read "This is your ticket" and contain a barcode. You must print out this voucher and bring it with you, along with your valid I.D. to Dodger Stadium on Monday, July 6, 2009, between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time to obtain your two tickets and two wristbands.


After the initial confusion, shock and awe of our conversation passed Mindy and I figured out how to negotiate the Ticketmaster process to obtain a voucher for the Staples Center memorial. To give perspective, you should know that the voucher had to be redeemed by midnight. Mindy forwarded her confirmation email to me at 11:39. We had to do some quick thinking...to say the least.

After the voucher application was complete, all I needed to do was print the voucher and find a way to Dodger Stadium by 6pm on Monday. First problem? My printer had run out of ink two weeks earlier...

I called my parent's house around midnight, my Dad answered the phone and we shared a moment of disbelief over my good fortune. Then, in typical fashion, my Mom woke up from a dead sleep to help me navigate the situation. In a quick to act and generous fashion that, I believe, only she possesses she helped me negotiate the nearly overwhelming task of processing this information. Over the phone, we found the best possible deals for hotel rooms and rental cars available. By 12:15am; she had reserved a rental car, I had booked a hotel room and she was on her way to my house with the voucher, freshly printed on her home computer. If there was an award for coolest Mom ever, she certainly would get it.

Megan and I both have Monday off of work, so getting to Dodger Stadium was certainly a possibility. The memorial service on Tuesday was something we'd have to negotiate with our respective bosses in the morning. Because I work for a regional airline, Megan and I were able to fly standby for free to Los Angeles. The only issue was that it was a holiday weekend and there were very few open seats to the Los Angeles area before 6pm. Finally, I found our best bet. A connection through Redmond, OR leaving at 9am.

At this point, I finally put the phone down, having secured a room, flight and car...Megan and I hugged, jumped up and down, kissed. In short...we freaked out. By 1am we were as packed as we could be and went to bed. Of course, on this night, we were both far too excited to actually sleep for any length of time.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment